I’m knitting size M, and I used my favorite Chinese Waitress Cast-on to cast on 60 stitches as the pattern specified. I like double-pointed needles for small-diameter knitting in the round, and I used my beloved Prym/Inox brand. I didn’t subtract any stitches for selvedge because a) I didn’t want to refigure stitch counts later in the pattern, and b) in a DK weight yarn, two extra stitches aren’t going to matter.
For the 4-st cable pattern, I knit rows 2 and 4 instead of purling them, and the stiches between are always purled. I’m cabling without a cable needle (so I don’t lose my sanity every four rounds). And as Knitting Empress of my house, I made the decision to switch from a right-cross cable to a left-cross cable, because I can more quickly insert my needle into stitches at the back of my work to make the position swap.
I tried to do all the sleeve increases one stitch in from the beginning and end of the round so I didn’t have two increases in a row, which produces a hole, but I also tried to maintain the cable stitch ribbing, so a couple of times I had to do a double increase. If the little hole bothers me, and it probably will, I’ll sew it closed later.
Whether knitting for pleasure or designing an item, I document my knitting time on every project. (Yep, I’m awesome.) The first sleeve took 10.75 hours, the second took 9 hours, so almost 20 hours. Not bad for two sleeves with a combined total of 495,200 cable crossings.
When tracking my progress on a sweater, I split it into thirds: sleeves, body, yoke, so I’m one-third of the way there.
Onward to the body.